Monday, July 28, 2008

ceiling inspiration

This weekend while I was trying out ideas for the blog banner, I stumbled upon a long-beloved favourite of mine: the parasol.





I remembered that, when I was maybe seven or eight, I used to have a parasol hanging from a corner of my bedroom ceiling. In fact, since the glass globe of my cheap apartment living room ceiling light broke, I've used a "clip-on" parasol shade from Urban Outfitters.

Anyway, the inspiration got me immediately searching the internet for inspiration images of parasol-covered ceilings!

Girlhula's photostream on Flicker turned up some truly gorgeous photography work, including these two of parasol-clad celings:










And another from UncaMickey:







And I just loved this shot from domio magazine's design contest of readers' bedrooms:








On the 6th blog featured a really unique use of parasols, I thought - placed on the wall above a headboard!






These pictures are really getting the gears in my head turning! For years I've disliked the ugly suspended ceiling in my bedroom, but have never really known what to do with it. This might just be the design fix I need!

2 comments:

Urnesha said...

As I mentioned on LJ I love the first ceiling shot but my fav has to be the 4 parasols in the very first image on the page. I tend to be a blue/green/yellow gal but I could totally live with that colour scheme!

ohyouprettythings said...

I know what you mean. Every so often someone will come up with a palette of colours that I never would've thought of myself, but that really blows me away!