Wednesday, August 13, 2008

my kind of camping

My father and stepmother are huge campers - always have been. Recently, packing both themselves and their two (soon to be three) oversized dogs into their old camper became too much and they decided they had to upgrade to a slightly larger model. Me? I'm thinking smaller:





Yes, believe it or not, that is a mobile camper, designed and built by the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company. There are several styles and sizes available, such as the "Epu," pictured below.












Looks like it's got enough space for just about everything I'd need on the road!

What's more, they also offer plans for tiny (stationary) homes. My favourite style by far is the "Loring."





{images from tumbleweedhouses.com}


Sadly, unlike the campers, you have to build your own Tumbleweed house based on the plans they sell. But there are some tiny houses scattered across the country which you can check out before you build, such as this one in Franklin, Maine.

I feel a bit like Goldilocks checking out these tiny dwellings. They look "just right" to me!

Now...to decorating them!

2 comments:

Liz Stone Abraham said...

I love the Loring, too! My understanding is that Jay Shafer will build it for you, but it will cost about $50,000, plus shipping (can't imagine how much it would cost to ship overseas).

According to Jay, the homes cost $100-200 per square foot to build on your own. The cost would of course vary depending on the types of materials you use and how much the contractor charges if you use one.

Where I live, in northeasten U.S., housing restrictions prohibit building a stationary home below a certain square footage. I don't think that I would be able to build the Loring here. How about where you live? Are there similar restrictions?

ohyouprettythings said...

I live in the northeastern U.S., as well - although I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the zoning restrictions where I live.

That's a shame, though, that zoning would restrict a house because it was "too small." In Maine, at least, the family in the article I linked to were able to have their own "tiny house" built. Perhaps it varies from state to state, or even county to county!

A few of my friends were really up-in-arms about the cost of the mobile homes, but as far as I know they seemed truly on-par with what my father and stepmother paid for their "typical" camper!